CSRI Leadership Forum, 30-31 May 2018, Hyatt Hotel, Canberra.
With Australia’s rapidly ageing population posing a growing challenge to the policy community and financial services industry, the need for coordinated action is urgent.
The statistics are stark. The numbers of Australians aged 65 and over are projected to more than double within 30 years, with one in two retirees requiring aged care. Amid growing anxiety among pre-retirees about a future with no financial plan, the need for both a policy framework and suitable solutions has never been greater.
The good news is we are making progress on that front. The recent federal budget announced that a framework for retirement income, including an obligation on superannuation fund trustees to offer Comprehensive Income Products for Retirement (CIPRs), will be introduced.
Against that background, the CSRI Leadership Forum, to be held at the Hyatt Hotel in Canberra on 30-31 May, provides a timely opportunity for all stakeholders to discuss implementation.
Bringing together leaders in public policy, industry and academia, the forum will debate how to secure a sustainable retirement incomes system. Key issues to be addressed include:
• How to develop trustee governance to better address members’ retirement needs;
• How industry can manage the trade-offs involved in designing retirement products;
• What the latest research into retirees’ financial risks and challenges tells us;
• Identifying innovative solutions for delivering income, how and when retirees need it;
• Empowering consumers to plan for retirement and make better choices.